Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Attractive Evangelism

I dislike going after people with hammer and nails hounding after them to change their beliefs. Rather, I believe in creating chances for them to come to me to discuss their religious beliefs.

In order to do this effectively, I feel that at the minimum, we need to 'Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.' (1 Pet 3:15) to know right now (before these opportunities open themselves to us):
i) Who we believe in
ii) What we believe
iii) Why we believe

1 unexpected way discovered today is to read a Christian book at public places. It's a good way of opening conversations about God.

This was what happened today:

I was early on course and reading the book 'Your work matters to God' when an acquiantance sitting next to me asked me,"What are you reading?"

Flipping the book to the cover page, she made a grimace before asking a rhetoric question, "So who's God?"

Me: That's a very interesting question, what do you say? (Really buying time while I finished the chapter I was reading and praying for appropriate answers)
She: I believe in fate, 天意
Me: Interesting, you believe in a great force in the world that moves events which has no sense of morality
She: What do you mean?
Me: It sounds to me that you believe there's something greater in the world that moves events, that if you can somehow manoever to your advantage, your life will be smooth sailing. I believe in a God who is totally just and who rightfully deserves my entire life devoted to His service.
She: But you can't see Him, how do you know He's real? (Implication: How do you know you are serving a real thing and not a figment of your imagination?)
Me: I know He's real through Christ, who walks on earth nearly 2000 years ago. He was a real man, who walked on earth, talked and interracted with the people then. He was witnessed to have died was resurrected and is now on the RH of God. I believe that Christ is God and thus He is real.....

Our conversation stopped here when the trainer started teaching. But praise God for that conversation!

To manage our expectations, don't expect to convert a person there and then, but rather, be ready to share whenever the chance presents itself and let God take care of the rest. Prayerfully, these thoughts will cause her to think a little bit about who God is and what He has done for us.

2 Comments:

At 3:17 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Amen! Evangelism is much more easier when it's conversational rather than 'preaching 4 point facts'...

I find www.str.org in training winsome ambassadors for Christ in the area of knowledge, character and wisdom.

Which part of Asia are you in?

You may like to join us here
http://stephentong.org/forums/index.php

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Nice example. I hear what you're saying, and I think evangelism can be taken to a negative extreme ie. constant hounding as you put it. But... I do think Christians are called to *actively* share the gospel message. If we believe that hell is a reality, and if we believe that Christ will return like a thief in the night, then I think we must firmly, gently and consistently proclaim the risen Christ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home