Saturday, August 27, 2005

Quick Tips for the Busy Season

Reading the Bible

Have my bible right next to my alarm which is set so that I'll have 15 min to read the bible once I wake up.

When the alarm rings in the morning, I'll shut it, grab the bible, flip to where I last ended and read 1 chapter. By the end of the reading, I'm normally quite awake.

Asking the journalistic 'Who, What, Where, Which, How' questions when studying passages.

Who is the passage/teaching meant for?

Where does the incident take place? (If appropriate)

What are its main themes? What are the OT/NT passages that have the same themes/references? What is it trying to teach the original audience?

Which passage speaks to me/ is the essence of the passage? (Note down and memorise)

How can I apply what I've learned in my life?

Praying

Making use of every opportunity when travelling alone for talking with God (prayer) and thanksgiving. It also helps me to sing songs esp those with lyrics from the bible (yeah, I did get strange stares sometimes when I unconsciously sing out loud, I take comfort in the fact I don't know these people... yet). Examples are 'Whom have I in heaven but you?' (Ps 73), 'Psalm 24', 'I'd rather Love' with 1 Cor 13 (from Hwee Yen's 'In a Little While'), 'Highest place' with Phil 2:5-11 (from Mark Peterson's 'Whatever Happens')....

Also, when confronted with difficult situations esp in evangelism, to remember to consult God first (by praying quickly, silently) before responding. I tend to forget this myself. It's a matter of applying it regularly whenever we remember it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home